Friday, May 21, 2010

Weekly Blog Post 7

This week was a busy week, catching up from missed classes and being out of town. One thing constantly on my mind? The blog paper. How am I going to do it? What approach is best? Which pictures should I use? Does the title 'Mutations in Your Backyard' really fit my topic? How on earth can I simplify things more?

So began step 1: Figure out the due date and make some time to write.

Friday the 21st, hopefully get it started before and finish, obviously, before midnight Friday.

Step 2: Resolve title issue.

'Mutations in Your Backyard' can work because then I can introduce the paper bringing up the possible crazy monsters outside the house, lead to the snake with a claw story, and then to why genetic mutations are good. There's my introduction and maybe a paragraph or two more (complete with snake picture).

Step 3: Figure out what to fill the body of the paper with.

Ah, after the intro stuff, start with why I think mutations are, overall, beneficial in the world and how the environment does not cause them, but determines their use. Challenge the reader if they don't believe, to read on and hear my side of the reasoning.

Step 4: Decide what pictures and text to use to back up my 'reasoning challenge'.

In no particular order at the moment (though probably negative, neutral, then good mutations), use the penguin story, the kakapo bird, and the panda. Tell their genetic mutations and stories, add in a picture of each. Then move on to how the environment makes the trait useful or whatever the case may be: show in the natural environment, if moved to another environment, and an environment with the introduction of humans.

Step 5: Add the conclusion.

Wrap up the three animal examples and restate my opinion, maybe challenge the audience to continue looking if they still doubt, and perhaps look more anyway of they do believe my view.

Step 6: Is it 4 pages yet?

We'll just say "yes" and hammer out the details later if it's not. Finish off with the works cited page, double check the paper, send it out.

And there you have it, my version of an outline to keep myself occupied and making constant progress, rather than the usual method: sit, stare at screen, stare at room, get a snack, have an epiphany, forget the epiphany, stare at screen, give up and write whatever's on the mind related to the topic.

1 comment: